Shabby

Friday, January 18, 2013

Promises to Remember: An Altered Art Project

Every year, on New Year's Eve, our church has a wonderful tradition. We enjoy a time of food and fellowship, then head over to the sanctuary to ring in the New Year in prayer and thanksgiving. Toward the end of the service, we're encouraged to write a few things down that we'd like to leave behind. We take those things, dump them in a garbage can, then chose Bible verses from a basket to hold on to and meditate on throughout the new year.

This year, I decided to create some altered art that incorporated the verses I chose. They will be displayed in the places I spend the most time in, to be a constant reminder to me of God's faithfulness and unfailing love.

Below is the first piece I created. It measures approximately 7.50" x 8.25".

I used K & Company's Que Sera Sera papers to collage the background. 
After I tore the papers, I distressed the edges with Tim Holtz's Distress Ink in Vintage Photo.
I also used some vintage floral art I found on the Internet and stamped the 
metallic gold dots on the left. I also edged the board with the same metallic gold ink. 

The verse and the music paper behind it are collaged onto a 
wooden heart I had in my stash. 
The lace in the back and the pretty bee charm are from Hobby Lobby.  
I sprayed the pink roses with Lindy's Stamp Gang to give them a bit of sparkle.
The tiny white roses are from Michael's $1.50 bin.

The Old Testament verse was printed on my computer and distressed with Vintage Photo. 

" 'Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet My unfailing love for you
will not be shaken nor My covenant of peace be removed.' says the LORD
who has compassion on you." Isaiah 54:10

I'll be making 3 more of these hopefully in the next couple of weeks. 

Blessings,
Millie

1 comment: